Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Two Thumbs Up

Just added the movie list and wanted to comment on my choices. Some may suggest that there are too many chick flicks and not enough “manly” movies. But while I love James Bond, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Die Hard, We Were Soldiers, and a lot of other action or adventure films, few of them rise to the level of greatness that the better thought-out dramas do. I’ve seen a lot of “great” films that I would never own. Unfortunately, I also own several films that should be used as trade-ins at Blockbuster for better options. I also own other films that I will also revisit periodically, but won’t put on this list.

First, the Comedies:

The Princess Bride. Besides the many characteristics of true love, this movie is just plain fun. We’ve slowed down on replays, but for many years it was viewed at least twice a year.

The Burbs. If you ever wanted a reason to further distance yourself from the neighbors, this is it. They’re busy barbequing Walter in the basement.

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Feel a little dumber every time I see this. But anytime that mice are the smartest creatures on earth, and the answer to the universal question is “42” there must be plenty to keep you in stitches.

For my other picks, there are many great movies from which to choose, but these keep getting replayed:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy. There’s something that rings true about an epic battle of good v evil, the idea that a mismatched group of friends could be the driving force for the good, and that even the smallest and most innocent can play a significant part.

Sense and Sensibility. Those who operate only from their fiery feelings are no better or worse than those who let reason rule. Ultimately, neither is dominant and both are required.

Pride and Prejudice. Doesn’t matter whether it’s the A&E version or the new release with Keira Knightley, although that woman playing the mother in the A&E version could send me over the edge. Its amazing how wrong we can be at first impressions. Its almost more amazing that we ever get past them.

You've Got Mail. Who couldn’t use a little more Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan (maybe excluding Joe v the Volcano). Why do fools fall in love? And when they do, why does it turn out so different from what they expected? Here love can transcend even a bitter business war. Sort of like Romeo and Juliet with a happy ending.

Willow. Sometimes you’ve just got to stick with it, even when you’re only 3 feet tall. The influence could even reach to a fickle oaf and lead him to a true allegiance.

I’m sure it will be revised over time, but this is what rises to the top at the moment.

No comments: