I have been a participant in an online forum for about three years. It is essentially an apologetics forum dedicated to the analysis of a group that many of us have had some experience with in years past, and that many now call a cult. And I actually agree with that label. It is not non-Christian. In fact, it is mostly quite evangelical. Nor is it about to drink Kool-Aid. But the label still applies.
Those who frequent the forum are quite an interesting collection of people. There are many ex-members. There are a few current members, and there are a few who are part of a splinter group that has begun to see at least some of the errors of the main group’s ways. This has carried on for several years within a larger forum that discusses many such groups. Recently, due to excessive meddling of the forum “owners,” we moved to a new location dedicated to only this one group.
And the fall began.
First, few of the current-member crowd followed. So we are freed from the shackles of the outside oppressors and have limited balance in view from remaining members. Still, most of it has been careful consideration and reasoned discussion. Until this last week. A topic was started that was essentially derailed into a couple of different witch hunts. Anyone who suggested that it was misguided was labeled as in denial, or worse. So there are now three camps; the ones we are picking on (and essentially not present to defend themselves), the ones on the attack, and the ones who are backing away and looking over their shoulders.
I have spent much of the past year in a different context looking at myself in a more objective way. I’ve begun to realize that some of the things I have pointed out as bad about others often keep me from looking at myself. I may not have the same fault as what I see in others, but the process of putting the spotlight on them keeps me from looking at myself. The more strongly my tendency is to point at someone else, the more likely it is that I am running from myself.
I have vowed a couple of times to refrain from participating in this forum for various reasons, but always return in a short time. In the light of the current fiasco, I am wondering if this might be a hint that I need to look at me a little more at this time. I’ve been singing the opening line of “Before You Accuse Me” over and over in my head for a couple of days. I think that I’ve been the one Clapton was singing to in that song. Maybe some others will hear the same song and sanity will return. I may never know.
As Walt Kelly said back in 1970 (actually more like 1953, but this precise rendition was in 70), “We have met the enemy and he is us.” At least one version puts the beloved Pogo in front of a mirror and jumping backwards with wide eyes. I’m not sure that I want to look into that mirror. But I need to.
No comments:
Post a Comment