Here I am on the eve of the double nickel. Tomorrow's celebration is slowly getting scaled back to where it might not even happen since there is the threat of snow. (Pathetic that one inch of snow could stop a nice night out.)
But that won't matter. One day in the next few we will gather some of the family — my wife, hopefully both sons, our new daughter-in-law, and maybe one or two of the other local family. Don't care much about cards, gifts, or cake. Probably will go somewhere to eat, but not too fancy.
Could stand to be further along in preparation for retirement. Would be nice to have the house already paid off. But I am beginning to arrive at a level of contentment that I have not known before. I still have hopes and dreams. Still making plans. But there's beginning to be less anxiety about how things are.
I know that my wife will grimace and say that I am just hoping the problems will go away. I know they will not. And I know there are things to do. But as I near a significant anniversary of that February afternoon that I took my first breath, I am entering a place in life where I am more content. I still have things to do, and will do them. I'm not saying that there is no sense of urgency in some things. But even with that urgency, I am coming to be more content.
Well, pumpkin time is coming, so if this is going to be published before tomorrow, I need to do it now.
More or less.
No comments:
Post a Comment