Friday, December 25, 2009

The Best Christmas Ever

“Doesn’t anyone know what Christmas is all about?”

With those words, Charlie Brown displayed his dismay at the way the Christmas pageant was turning out. But it was the recitation by Linus of the account of the birth of Christ from Luke that changed the hearts of the rest of the gang as they then gathered around that pathetic little tree Charlie had bought.

All the times I’ve seen that, going back to my own youth, were never like recent times. And for at least the second time, that little portion mentioned above was used in our church’s Christmas Eve service.

But this year I saw it differently. As of the time that we saw that, our tree was not yet in place. Afterwards we got it out and set it up in not much more than an hour. Simple. Some Lennox keepsakes punctuating white, silver, and gold balls — not too many.

This morning, all four of us — my wife and I and our two grown sons — got up to eat a very late breakfast (nearly noon) and then retire to the living room to open the few presents. We all enjoyed it immensely.

This will be the last with the four of us. Next year will include a fifth as our oldest marries in less than a week. That event in Baltimore will be the completion of the perfect Christmas.

I hope to have many more like this. Less hoopla and more family.

No comments: